MSC Opera Cancels Departure Following Venice Crash
Following the dramatic crash of the MSC Opera in Venice earlier this week, MSC Cruises has announced a cruise cancellation as it awaits the completion of an ensuing investigation.
According to an official statement, the MSC Opera was required to undergo repair works after it rammed into a dock in Venice’s Giudecca Canal on June 2. Though repairs were already completed on Monday, the ship is currently still waiting for authorities to give it the go ahead to sail.
“As these procedures are taking a few days longer than originally expected, and we now know that the ship will not be able to depart in time for its next sailing, we have taken the difficult but necessary decision to cancel the upcoming cruise sailing from Bari on June 8, and from Venice on June 9,” said the cruise line.
MSC Opera was due to host 2,451 guests from 53 countries on the cruise. MSC Cruises says it has informed passengers and travel agents about the cancellation, and is offering alternative options, including a full refund of the cruise fare and incurred travel expenses as well as any pre-booked services.
Source: Travelweek Group