Caribe Hilton Reopens Following $150 Million Renovation

06 July 2019 3:30pm
Caribbean News Digital English Newsroom
Caribe Hilton Reopens Following $150 Million Renovation

Following a soft opening with limited inventory in mid-May, the renovated Caribe Hilton is officially up and running once again.

Originally opened in 1949 as the first Hilton outside the continental U.S., the historic hotel shuttered in February 2018 after sustaining significant damage from Hurricane Maria, which devastated Puerto Rico in 2017.

The property has since received $150 million in renovations and upgrades, recently commemorating the project's completion with a June 18 ribbon cutting ceremony. All 652 of the Caribe Hilton's guestrooms have received facelifts, with around 70% of hotel's guestroom inventory currently available to sell. The remaining 30% is expected to join the fold before the end of July.

Other updates include all-new landscaping, lighting and fitness, spa and tennis facilities, as well as roughly 65,000 square feet of revamped meeting and event space.

Additionally, the Caribe Hilton has refreshed its food and beverage outlets, with a total of nine venues available. They include breakfast restaurant Salitre del Caribe, Italian eatery Rustica Ristorante, traditional Puerto Rican restaurant Lola's Puerto Rican Cuisine and the main lobby's Caribar, which claims to be the birthplace of the famous pina colada cocktail.

The only restaurant still undergoing remodeling is an outpost of Morton's The Steakhouse, which is expected to reopen this winter.

With all the changes, much of the staff at the Caribe Hilton remains the same. Torres touted that roughly 80% of the Caribe Hilton's workforce returned to the property this past April, after employees underwent retraining.

Source: Travel Weekly

Back to top
The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later.